How do I use it?
Exclusive breastfeeding can be a temporary form of birth control for up to 6 months after giving birth or until your period comes back, whichever comes first. You need to breastfeed every 4-6 hours.
How effective is it?
Breastfeeding is 98% effective at preventing pregnancy when used according to guidelines. If you are menstruating, spotting, pumping, feeding your
What I might like...
- You might like that it's hormone-free
- You don't need a prescription or a procedure to use it
- You can start and stop using this method on your own
- Breastfeeding has a lot of health benefits for babies
What I might dislike...
- You need to exclusively breastfeed from the breast to use this method. Pumping and hand expression don't work to prevent pregnancy.
- You can't use this method if the baby drinks formula or eats solid foods
- It takes time, scheduling, and practice. You need to breastfeed every 4-6 hours everyday to prevent pregnancy.
- You won’t be protected from STIs